Thursday, February 2, 2012

Letting my Baby Out (my book I mean. Kids, you stay with me)

It's been a busy couple of weeks.   I managed to complete my first draft for 12x12 in 2012 and I'm still rather gobsmacked at how that got done.    I went with the food stealing animals idea from lovely commenter, Alison from this post.   By the time I had worked out how I was going to do it,  the draft took about fifteen minutes - love it when that happens.    My picture books (however rare they are) are usually written this way - weeks of deliberation; fifteen minutes of actual writing. It's almost an anti climax!   Editing however is a whole other story which may come out at a later date.

The other biggie was that I finally gave away all 345 pages of Flirting With Magick to others to read.  So far so good.  There will be more on that when I get my critiques back before the next rewrite.  But I have been told they 'can't put it down' which I assume is a good thing, unless it  has been accidentally superglued to their hands and they literally can't put it down.  Then that may not necessarily the feedback I require.

I swear allowing others to read it was one of the hardest things I have done - it would have been easier to give away one of my kids.  Or give birth three times over, all over again. 

And then I remembered that books are meant for other people whereas my kids are to stay with me.  Damn!

Must make a mental note of that!

8 comments:

  1. Hope your critiquing goes well, and way to go finishing your January manuscript.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Job Leighta! i love the video and I am sharing it on Random Acts of Kindness Day (2/15). Oh yeah, you're pretty funny too. I hope your critiques go well. By the way I am awarding you the Liebstor Award. Go to my blog for the details: http://mylmnopreadstokids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thank you Pam!

    I will be paying it forward. Stay tuned :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. Well done you on your commitment and your bravery. I really relate to what you are saying - getting others to read your work is one of the most scary things in the world - it has held me back for years as I couldn't cope with any 'constructive" feedback. I finally let someone have a look a month ago, and it was the best thing I've done. Hoping now I will actually finish one of my books. I will follow your progress with interest! Marcie from www.noclothesnoshoes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcie. I would love to hear how you are going with yours too!

      I'm checking out your blog :)

      Delete